The Würzburg town hall is not a single complex, but a group of buildings originally different purpose from different times. In 1256, a city council was first mentioned in Würzburg. The citizens are thus significantly involved in the administration of the city. In 1316, the mayor and the council acquired the Grafeneckart - a visible sign of bourgeois independence towards the episcopal sovereign.
Originally the seat of an episcopal official, the building has a Romanesque tower and, with the 13th century Wenceslas Hall, the city's oldest secular building.
Today, the Grafeneckart forms the oldest part of the town hall, which has been steadily expanded over the centuries. To the west is connected to the Grafeneckart of 1659/60 built in the style of the late Renaissance Red building to the north of the secularized monastery of the Shoemaker Carmelites, which was bought in the 19th century by the city council.
The bombing of 16 March 1945 survived only the Grafeneckart and the gable front of the Red Building. In 1949, however, the council was able to return to its meeting room in the Red Building. "Stronger than death and annihilation is our will to live." - this commitment to the front door of the hall documents the spirit of those years. The adjoining the red building south wing was completed in 1986. He houses the new council chamber. The monumental frescoes by Wolfgang Lenz on the hall walls show important people and events from the history of Würzburg.
In front of the Grafeneckart is the baroque four-tube fountain, created around 1765 by L. v. d. Auvera and Peter Wagner.
February 5, 2017
The city hall Würzburg is a building complex in the old town of Würzburg. It was destroyed during the Second World War and reconstructed in the early 1950s and rebuilt.
The buildings are used by the city administration. The town hall can be crossed from Grafeneckart to Rückermainstraße. The new council chamber on the first floor of the south wing shows scenes from the history of Würzburg on the walls of the hall in frescoes by Wolfgang Lenz.
August 28, 2017
Grafeneckart and town hall are original seat of a episcopal official with Romanesque tower and great hall (Wenceslas Hall) of the 13th century. Since 1316 Town Hall and several times enlarged. Next to the Grafeneckart the Red building of Preiß and Villinger built in 1659 in late renaissance forms as well as the Carmelite monastery built in 1712, also used as a town hall since the 19th century.
March 31, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.