The former Lichtenberg train station now houses the information center for the Franconian Forest Nature Park. The station building is a small single-storey half-timbered building and is a listed building. In 1986 the entrance building, threatened with demolition, was extensively renovated. In front of the building there is a (somewhat oddly arranged) short train on the former track, consisting of a steam storage locomotive (Babelsberg 1969) given as a gift from the Rosenthal pulp and paper factory a few kilometers away in 1993, a passenger and a baggage car of the type Donnerbüchse and a boxcar. Like the station building, the vehicles are also listed. In the station building, you can marvel at a model railway that reproduces the course of the Höllentalbahn in the Selbitztal between the Lichtenberg and Hölle stations.
August 30, 2020
The Franconian Forest Nature Park Information Center is located in the former Lichtenberg train station, great and absolutely worth seeing exhibition. Bring some time to watch films or enjoy the interactive exhibition. The information center also houses a model railway system that reproduces the course of the Höllentalbahn in the Selbitztal between the Lichtenberg and Hölle stations. Flyers and overview maps, toilets, a train ensemble and a Bavaria - Entdecker stamp station complete the positive picture.
August 30, 2020
The train station is only a few hundred meters away from the border with Thuringia. The Triptis – Marxgrün line is a branch line in Thuringia and Bavaria, which was originally built and operated by the Prussian State Railways. It leads from Triptis via Ziegenrück, Bad Lobenstein and Blankenstein to Marxgrün. Only the section Ebersdorf-Friesau-Unterlemnitz-Lobenstein-Blankenstein in Thuringia is still in operation. The northern section is known as the Thuringian Oberlandbahn, the southern section as the Höllentalbahn in the Franconian Forest.
After the occupation of Thuringia by the Red Army in June 1945, the Bavarian-Thuringian border became the demarcation line between the American and Soviet-occupied zones of Germany. Train traffic across the border was therefore stopped on June 3, 1945. The boundaries of the railway directorates were later adjusted to the national borders.
June 12, 2015
In keeping with the entire ensemble around the Natupark information center in the former Lichtenberg station, there is a (somewhat oddly composed) passenger train on the tracks. The steam locomotive is from the Rosenthal pulp and paper factory, a few kilometers away.
August 30, 2020
The station was built between 1897 and 1901 in the course of the extension of the railway line Triptis-Blankenstein by the Höllental more than one kilometer northeast of the city in the community part Blechschmidtenhammer. As the route was built by the Prussian State Railways on the basis of a treaty between Bavaria, Prussia and the house of Reuss, the station building with goods shed was built in the style of Thuringian stations.
The station is located just a few hundred meters from the border with Thuringia. After the German division, the line was interrupted on 3 July 1945 between Blankenstein and Lichtenberg, Lichtenberg became the terminus from Marxgrün. On the Bavarian side, there was no more passenger traffic. Freight traffic from Marx green to Lichtenberg was carried out until May 23, 1971, then the line was shut down and the tracks dismantled in 1982.
July 3, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.