Jagdschloss Gelbensande

Bike Touring Highlight

Recommended by 32 out of 34 cyclists

Tips

  • Siegfried LG

    One of the highlights of the Rostock Heath. In addition to the gastronomy, a museum is also located, there you will also learn something about the history of the hunting lodge.

    translated byView Original
    • November 20, 2016

  • Siegfried LG

    It is an imposing 19th century building in the middle of the forest. Several times we have visited this gem on our tours.

    translated byView Original
    • December 16, 2016

  • Bernd

    very nice beer garden, on Herrentag always live music, castle sightseeing is also possible, always worth a stop

    translated byView Original
    • June 23, 2017

  • wobi

    👍🚴🏻♂️ Top track & place for bikes 🚲 like mountain biking 🚵🏻♀️ or just on foot 🦶 🏃♀️🚶🏻♂️

    translated byView Original
    • March 10, 2019

  • Siegfried LG

    About history:
    Grand Duke Friedrich Franz III. to Mecklenburg issued in 1884 the contract to build his summer residence, as a location offered the hunting ground of the Mecklenburg princes. The most important reason for deciding the location was the good climatic conditions in the region during the summer, which had a positive effect on the health of the asthmatic-plagued Grand Duke. Already in 1878, the Grand Duke stayed for the cure in Gelbensande, since then he was enthusiastic about the ambient conditions. The construction goes back to direct initiative of Grand Duchess Anastasia, the construction carried them with utmost attention.
    In accordance with the wish of the hostess, the house should not be overburdened with towers and other stylistic elements of a castle, rather it should fit into the surroundings. The house was designed as a residential building and the interior was selected according to the latest findings of health compatibility.
    Hofbaurat Gotthilf Ludwig Möckel was commissioned with the planning execution, the construction manager on site led the site manager Vogel, in the further construction phase, site manager Diesend was responsible. On May 1, 1885, the laying of the foundation stone took place. In the presence of the Grand Duke Michael Nikolayevich Romanov and his sons Sergei and Alexei then the inauguration ceremony was held on 25 August 1887.
    Jagdschloss Gelbensande was also part of the catalog of the International Art Exhibition 1891 in Berlin. Architect Gotthilf Möckel was represented at the exhibition with his works in the field of architecture, including the imposing Ständehaus in Rostock and the manor Melkhof.
    Source: Wikipedia

    translated byView Original
    • December 16, 2016

  • Siegfried LG

    Today:
    With the turnaround there were new possibilities of use. In July 1990, the Ministry of Commerce and Supply gave permission to set up a casino. A limited company should lead the company, while the community should be involved with 10 percent of the profits. One year later, however, the license was denied by the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. The municipality then acquired the castle in 1994 and began in 1996 with the renovation of the attic and the exterior facade. Considerations of the community to set up condominiums, a hotel or a spa clinic in the building failed due to the requirement that the building should continue to be open to the public.
    Through the association Museum Jagdschloss Gelbensande e. V., many cultural events have been held in the castle since 1995. Since 1998, the hunting lodge is also available for wedding ceremonies.
    In 2008, the hunting lodge was sold by the municipality to a contractor, since then parts of the building are being used commercially. The representative premises of the main floor remain within the contractually agreed permanent use of the community, as well as the continuation of the museum and the cultural events in the use concept is written down.
    The eleven restored rooms of the floor with the four chimney rooms and the bath of the Grand Duke can also be visited without a guide, here are shown Danish royal porcelain, architectural drawings of the hunting lodge and hunting trophies and engravings. A permanent exhibition informs about the development history of the house.
    The Association Museum Jagdschloss Gelbensande e. V. ensures the preservation of these prestigious premises on the main floor.
    Source: Wikipedia

    translated byView Original
    • December 16, 2016

  • Jodelpaule

    The Grand Duke often kept for a long time in the hunting lodge because of his lung disease and received numerous celebrities from the various royal houses here. By the marriage of Friedrich Franz III. and those of his siblings made connections with the Russian Tsar Court and the Dutch royal family.
    The Grand Duchess Anastasia married after Friedrich Franz III. Died suddenly in Cannes in 1897, a year later the Danish King Christian X. The youngest daughter of Friedrich Franz II and his wife Anastasia, Cecilia, married in 1905 the eldest son of the crown, Crown Prince Frederick William of Prussia. In memory of her beautiful childhood in the hunting lodge in Gelbensande, the castle Cecilienhof was built according to her wishes in Potsdam.

    translated byView Original
    • June 3, 2017

  • Siegfried LG

    Opening hours Museum:
    Monday - Sunday 11am to 5pm
    Holiday 11am to 5pm
    At weddings, restrictions are possible.
    Winter opening times:
    11-16 clock

    translated byView Original
    • December 16, 2016

  • Christian

    Hidden away, but a great gem! Definitely worth a visit.

    translated byView Original
    • July 19, 2019

In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!

Top Touring Cycling Routes to Jagdschloss Gelbensande

Location: Gelbensande, Rostock, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany

Information

  • Elevation10 m

Most Visited During

  • Jan
  • Feb
  • Mar
  • Apr
  • May
  • Jun
  • Jul
  • Aug
  • Sep
  • Oct
  • Nov
  • Dec

Weather Forecast - Gelbensande