Bike Touring Highlight
The Kirkemølle south of Pedersker is clearly visible at Søndre Landvej. It is the only surviving stone mill in Bornholm. It was built from local sandstone and is thus a special feature of Bornholm mill history. The Dutch mill is called church mill, as it is not far from the Pederskirke. It was built in 1861 as a replacement for an old windmill, which was demolished after 150 years of service. The former sail wings were made in 1899 by the typical self-regulating wooden wings. Until 1908, the mill was turned by hand in the wind. Then it was rebuilt and expanded and received its present form including the Windrose. Inside, the mill has 4 floors. From 1867 to 1959, the mill belonged to the Marker family in four generations. Since 1969, the mill fell to Pedersker until 1978 and the owner began the restoration. This lasted until 1982. Poul Erik Munk wrote a book about the mill as a representative of the Förderverein in 1996. There he also writes that the mill used to be called "Kro Mølle", because in the 19th and at the beginning of the 20th century, besides the bakery next to the mill, a gated house was also run.
August 7, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!