The monks diverted streams, dug ditches and dammed the water in a series of ponds. They led it in two separate canals into the monastery grounds and through vaults under the buildings. One canal was used as drinking water and for the kitchen. The washing water and the toilet drain ran in the other channel. Water was used in many ways. It served to drive the machines in the grain mill, the tannery, the fulling mill, the forge and other trades. The water used was channeled into the Fulde. Guests of the monastery should not forget to visit the ponds and the monastery forest south of the monastery walls. Today it is a landscape protection area, which owes its design to the hydraulic engineering of the Cistercians and the landscape designers around 1900.
September 11, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!