Burg Mauel is a small moated castle in the municipality of Windeck in the Rhein-Sieg district in North Rhine-Westphalia. It is a two-story greywacke quarry stone construction.Date of origin: before 1555
Castle type: Niederungsburg, mostly preserved.In 1555 Wilhelm von Etzbach was the owner of the mansion. At the beginning of the 17th century, the lords of Vellbrück took up residence here, but later leased the estate. In 1787 they sold the property to the previous tenant Peter Voß for 23,000 Bergisch thalers. In 1794, the Benedictine monks of the Brauweiler Abbey, who had fled from the French occupying forces, found lodgings near Cologne for some time. Other owners were the families Hundhausen, Kammerich, Kirchbaum and Wehner. In 1991, the Lenz / Schmid family bought the building and renovated it. In 2007, the castle changed hands and now houses conference rooms, a management consultancy and residential units. In addition, a beer garden and a wine bar invite you to take a break.Peter Voß replaced the massive gable and flattened shingled roof with a slated hipped roof. In 1841 the north entrance was closed with the drawbridge and on the south side a fixed, three-arched bridge was built. Later, a stone bridge was built on the east side.
October 28, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!