The Bärensee is the first of three lakes that can be found directly behind each other in the Rotwildpark near Stuttgart.
Most Stuttgart call the three lakes for the sake of simplicity as bear lakes or just as bear lake.
In 1566 Duke Christoph decided to build the Pfaffensee in order to end the then water shortage of the mills.
In 1618, Duke Johann Friedrich created the Bärensee after renewed water scarcity. The two lakes were connected by a canal.
The New Lake was added in 1833 when a dam was built to allow the largest lake ever to emerge between Bärensee and Pfaffensee.
Until 1998, the water was treated to provide drinking water. Currently, the lakes serve only the emergency water supply.
Whereby most of the pictures here are not the Bear Lake, but the "New Lake". The entire lakes here run under the generic term "park lakes" and were artificially created to improve the water supply in Stuttgart. In 1575 the lowest lake, the Pfaffensee, 1618 the Bärensee (only that is the lake directly below the Bärenschlössle). And last, the lake in the middle, the "New Lake" 1833th The system also includes the more distant Steinbach and Katzenbachsee. The lakes are no longer used for water supply, only for recreation.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!