Castle Burg an der Wupper is a hill castle reconstructed from the late 19th century in the Solingen district of Burg an der Wupper. The complex was the ancestral castle of the counts and later dukes of Berg since the 12th century and is today the symbol of the Bergisches Land. At the same time, it is one of the largest castles in western Germany and the largest reconstructed castle complex in North Rhine-Westphalia.
In the High Middle Ages it was one of four centers in the county of Berg and served as the main residence of the Counts of Berg, only losing this position in 1380 under Wilhelm II von Berg to Düsseldorf. Castle Burg was then used by the ruling family, who had been raised to the duke's status, as a hunting lodge, before Benrath Castle was built at the gates of Düsseldorf in the 1660s. As a result of the Thirty Years' War, ground and until 1807 only used as the seat of a Bergisch waiter and judge, the complex fell into disrepair and deteriorated into a ruin. In 1887 an association was founded to preserve it, which soon made the reconstruction of the castle his goal. The reconstruction work, which lasted from 1890 to 1914, was financed through donations, lottery proceeds, support from the Rhenish Provincial Parliament, the Bergisches Geschichtsverein and the German Imperial House.
Today, Burg Castle is used for a variety of cultural purposes, including as a museum, event location and memorial. The city of Solingen, Remscheid and Wuppertal are the owners of the listed monument on October 2, 1984. The Castle Building Association Burg an der Wupper acts as the operator.
July 9, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!