Road Cycling Highlight
The fortified church of St. Arbogast (reformed) in the municipality of Muttenz in the canton of Basel-Landschaft is the only church in Switzerland, which is completely enclosed by an almost circular ring wall.
The church is located in the upper village of Muttenz and forms the core of the radiating spreading old village.
The fortified church of St. Arbogast consists of the church and its cemetery, which is secured by a circular wall about 7 meters high with battlements and two gate towers. The wall is broken to the north and south by the gate towers, which are named after their location. Within the walls is located next to the church with ship, Vorchor, Altarhaus and the tower lying in the Nordeck only in 1513 built ossuary.Adjacent to the wall is next to the north tower built in the 17th century guard house and next to the south tower built in 1553 Sigristenhaus.In the middle of the 19th century, the Muttenz municipal council decided to demolish the fortifications, but thanks to the efforts of monument-conscious citizens, especially the Zurich art historian Johann Rudolf Rahn, prevented them. - Thank God
June 9, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.