The ruined castle Gleichen on the southern edge of the Thuringian Basin, together with the Mühlburg and the Wachsenburg, is probably the best-known ensemble of castles in Germany, the Drei Gleichen. The name "equals" is due to the Celtic word "resembling" for rocks or to the topographical similarity of castles on three conical mountains. The transfer of the name to the entire castles has been documented since the 18th century. However, the three plants never shared a common ownership.
Admission: 3.00 € (as of 2018)
Opening hours: 1st April - 31st October
June 6, 2018
Ruin of the castle of the Counts of Gleichen. It is called "Wandersleber Gleiche", as part of the "Three Equals". The castle ruins are located in the Thuringia Inselsberg national geopark. It dates from the 11th century and is therefore much younger than the Mühlburg opposite.The castle with the manor house was the ancestral seat and namesake of Derer von Gleichen until 1537.
December 4, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.