Bike Touring Highlight
The pictures actually speak for themselves. Just like the opposite Hoopte, Zollenspieker is a popular meeting place to just have a look. It is a bit quieter during the week, but it overflows at the weekend, at the booth and while looking at the Elbe. That the ferry always goes back and forth quickly. does the rest.
December 19, 2016
The ferry connection between Zollenspieker and Hoopte is the oldest, still active ferry connection in Germany. The first mention of the connection dates back to the year 1252. At that time, the ferry and customs office was about 2 km up the Elbe. The Riepenburg was built to protect the ferry and customs office.
With the relocation of the Ilmenau estuary to the Elbe, the customs house and the ferry to Zollenspieker were relocated to their present location. Long before the Elbe bridges were built, this was one of the most important connections across the Elbe. Pretty much everyone of rank and name has crossed the Elbe here.
Until the takeover of Karl Heinz Büchel in winter 1983/84, the ferry was operated by the tenant of the ferry house. Karl-Heinz Büchel, also better known as Captain Kudd’l, started the ferry connection on April 1, 1984 with the old ferry bar and the St. Pauli barge.
The ferry cream was soon replaced by the Spieker seagull. Today the ferry connection is primarily served by the Hoopter Möwe 2. The Spieker seagull comes as a reinforcement when there is a lot of traffic, e.g. for traffic jams on the A1.
Between March and November, the ferry operates on weekdays between 6 a.m. and 8 p.m., as well as on weekends and public holidays from 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. every 10 minutes.
July 22, 2019
A popular meeting point: the Fährimbiss & Bikertreff.
During the season (from March to the end of November) the ferry snack at the pier in Zollenspieker will be open from 10.00. Here you get coffee and cake, bratwurst, sandwiches, ice cream and much more.
There are tables with benches and bar tables that invite you to linger on the Elbe. Among cyclists and especially motorcyclists, the ferry snack is a popular meeting place. Sufficient parking spaces for motorcycles are available.
February 23, 2019
The ferry connection between Zollenspieker and Hoopte is the oldest, still active ferry connection in Germany. The first mention of the connection date to the year 1252th At that time, the ferry and customs office was about 2km Elbe upstream. To protect the ferry and customs office, the Riepenburg was built at that time.
With the relocation of the mouth of the Ilmenau in the Elbe, the Customs House and the ferry to Zollenspieker, relocated to their present location. Long before the construction of the Elbe bridges, this was one of the most important connections across the Elbe. Pretty much everyone of rank and name has crossed the Elbe here.
Until the takeover of Karl Heinz Büchel, in the winter of 1983/84, the ferry was operated by the tenant of the ferry house. Karl-Heinz Büchel, also better known as Captain Kudd'l, took up the ferry connection with the old Fährprahm and the barge St. Pauli on the 1st of April 1984.
Soon the Fährprahm was replaced by the Spieker Seagull. Today, the ferry service is operated primarily by the Hoopter Möwe 2. The Spieker gull comes as reinforcement in heavy traffic, e.g. in traffic jams on the A1 used.
February 1, 2019
Located on the southernmost point of Hamburg, the Zollenspieker Fährhaus is characterized by its unique location on the Elbe. Like no other historic building in northern Germany, it represents a piece of Hanseatic history. Its foundations date back to 1252. Not surprisingly, the house was part of many historical events.
The listed heritage house looks back on more than 765 years of history. Originally built as a toll tower, the building was rebuilt after being destroyed by Lüneburg troops in 1620 the following year. In addition to its function as a guesthouse and rest area, the traditional house also served over the years as a customs station and as a ferry house, at one of Hamburg's oldest Elbfährstellen. With the abolition of the customs office in 1863, the traditional house received its unmistakable appearance with the addition of a dance hall. Since then, the old ferry house with the majestic Elbe view and the old chestnut trees in its beer garden is a popular destination.
February 23, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.