When in 1123 the monastery was founded as the first Cistercian monastery in German territory (Holy Roman Empire of German Nations) on the Kamper Heights, no one could have guessed that the complex would be affectionately named after the castle built in Potsdam only centuries later. Particularly characteristic is the terrace and baroque garden, which was created in the 18th century after the Thirty Years' War and is arranged in steps similar to Park Sanssouci. After the secularization and abandonment of the monastery in 1802, the complex was used from 1954 to 2002 by a Carmelite Order.
July 18, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!