Every self-respecting city had a public park around 1900 with a pond for boating and ice skating. When horticultural director Viktor Luster came to Bamberg in 1922, he found ideal conditions: the Bürgerpark already existed and there was also water, as the Regnitz regulation in 1852-53 had left behind some backwaters. The "Schwanenweiher", a biotope with breeding grounds for birds, was expanded into a grove pond from 1933 onwards.
The plans for the creation of a pond had been in place since 1923. While the work on the Botanical Garden had long been in full swing, the expansion of the Heinweiher was a long time coming due to financial constraints in the city. In 1933 Viktor Luster finally got 60 men from the "Voluntary Labor Service" available for the expansion of the pond. In the course of this work, the water surface was almost tripled.
October 19, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!