The Liebfrauenkirche in Jüterbog was built in 1161 by order of the Archbishop of Magdeburg Wichmann von Seeburg and is the second oldest surviving church in the state of Brandenburg. In addition, for 275 years it was the place of living and learning of the Cistercian women, in whose monastery they were included.It was not until 1722 that the church was given a baroque half-timbered tower, which was dismantled again in 1845 except for a stump with a tented roof. The current pointed slate tower was only built in 1891.In 1936/38, among other restoration work, the wooden ceiling was painted according to old templates. Between 2000 and 2005, the outer shell was extensively renovated and the roofs of the slate tower as well as the choir and the two transepts were newly covered.Source: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebfrauenkirche_(Jüterbog)
December 20, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!