The after the great city fire of 1581 destroyed St. Boniface Church was rebuilt in 1676 to 1683 as the New Church.
The organ builder Johann Friedrich Wender created in 1703 an organ for the New Church, which has taken the 18-year-old Johann Sebastian Bach and tested.
From 1703 to 1707 Bach was active here as an organist. In 1935 she was renamed to the 250th birthday of the musician in "Johann Sebastian Bach Church". The simple interior has two-storey galleries and a wooden barrel vault. (Source: Thuringia Info)
March 3, 2019
The "New Church" was built 1676-1683 on the foundation remains of the 1581 burned St. Boniface's Church as a baroque hall with surrounding, three-story gallery.
From 1703 to 1707 Johann Sebastian Bach had his first organist position here, followed by his cousin Johann Ernst Bach until 1728.
In 1935, the "New Church" was renamed "Johann Sebastian Bach Church" (Wikipedia).
January 5, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!