In 1577 he began construction of the small moated castle, the "Castrum Nutzkow", which with its three gables is still the landmark of Nütschau and has come to us largely unchanged in its external structure. In the 19th century, the interior of the house - it has changed hands 28 times until the monks moved in - has been completely redesigned. The three-gabled house in its simple, noble proportions, whose middle gable carries the characteristic turret from 1792, has high artistic rank.
On February 3, 1951, the feast of St. Ansgar, the Bishop of Osnabrück, who was responsible for the region at that time, acquired the estate Nütschau for the Benedictines of the Gerleve Abbey in the Münsterland and agreed with them: Nütschau becomes - with the name "Haus St. Ansgar "- initially opened as a retreat house. However, the goal from the beginning was the construction of a monastery according to the Rule of St. Benedict.
Gradually, other buildings complemented the ensemble: today's educational institution Haus St. Ansgar (1954/59), the monastery church with the silent area (1974), dining rooms and kitchen as well as the then sister house, the extension of the Youth House St. Benedikt (1990) , the new large convent building (1998), the renovated manor house (2006) and the remaining surrounding lands make up the heritage and mission of a monastery in the third millennium.
Anyone who lives or is a guest should feel that God gives people hope and a future.
January 4, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!