The Georgsbrunnen - also called "Gülden Mans Fountain" - is a fountain built in 1549 in the Wartburg city of Eisenach in Thuringia and a monument to the city's history. It is reminiscent of the city's Saint George and was in the late Middle Ages at the same time a symbol of urban market jurisdiction (Wikipedia).
November 1, 2018
The fountain was built in 1549 with the figure of knight and dragon slayer St. George. He changed the location several times, and his fountain ring was changed again and again. In the years 1999-2001 it was put up in its place today in the context of marketplace refurbishment.
December 3, 2019
Very nice fountain.
I once added a winter picture - a fountain with a cover.
In the background the "extended weekly market" on December 9th, 2021, as the Christmas market was unfortunately banned. 😔
There is no mulled wine. The Ferris wheel in the background is currently being dismantled.
Crazy times ...
December 9, 2021
In 1549, the sculptural sandstone figure of the knight and dragon slayer St. George was created in the Eisenach workshop of the then city master builder Hans Leonhard. Represented in reduced proportions, the knight wears a 16th-century gilded armor and fights a lindworm or dragon at his feet. The cavalry armor of the figure was probably cast from tournament armor and corresponds in detail to models from the period between 1550 and 1560. The rural population who flocked to the city on market days may have introduced the name "Güldenmannsbrunnen", which was already in use in the Middle Ages.
Source and further information: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgsbrunnen_(Eisenach)
August 24, 2022
The market square in Eisenach is located in the center of the city and is part of the Eisenach old town area monument. Almost all the buildings surrounding the square are under monument protection. Important urban and cultural institutions are also located here.The marketplace was first mentioned in 1278 as a forum. Its current development developed from the 12th century with the construction of the Georgenkirche. Between 1742 and 1747, Duke Ernst August had the city palace built on the north side of the square. The buildings on the east side, such as the town hall, the council pharmacy and the former council scales, date from the 16th century. Until 1848, the square was one of three marketplaces in Eisenach along with Frauenplan and Karlsplatz. It has been called "Markt" since 1872.During the Third Reich, the square was renamed Adolf-Hitler-Platz in 1933. In 1938, in order to create enough space for parades, the Georgsbrunnen in the middle of the square was moved in front of the Georgenkirche. On February 9, 1945, the buildings on the south and east side of the square were badly damaged as a result of an air raid. The remains on the east side were removed except for the town hall and another building. In 1945 the square was renamed "Markt". It was asphalted in the 1960s. Between 1999 and 2000, the square underwent a thorough restoration, including replacing the asphalt surface with granite paving. Furthermore, the Georgsbrunnen was moved back to its original location.online-destination.de/deutschland/eisenach/eisenach-marktplatz.html
4 days ago
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!