The core of the town church in Schwedt is a simple 13th-century hall church made of fieldstone. On the Merian engraving of 1652 it is referred to as the Kreuz-Kirche. In 1887 the church burned down. The subsequent reconstruction in 1889 under the direction of the Royal Building Councilor Ludwig Dihm enlarged the interior, but completely disfigured the building in its original form.
On April 18, 1945, the town church burned down to the enclosing walls, part of the vault and the three steel bells from 1921 could be saved. The Renaissance altar and pulpit from 1580, a gift from the von Hohenstein family, and the epitaphs from around 1600 were lost. When the church was rebuilt in 1950, a viewing platform was built on the tower, which allows a wide view of the surroundings.
Regular opening hours and exhibitions invite you to go inside. Climbing the church tower can be registered at the tourist information.
April 23, 2022
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!