Bike Touring Highlight
The citadel Petersberg (also fortress Petersberg) is an originally kurmainzische, later Prussian city fortress of the 17. to 19. Century, which lies in the center of the thuringian capital Erfurt. It is considered as one of the largest and best preserved of its kind in completely Europe and became 1665 on Order of the Kurmainzischen electors and archbishop Johann Philipp of Schönborn as zwingburg against the city in the neuitalienischen style built. Later, as the northernmost fortress, it was intended to protect the electorate from attacks by the Protestant powers. The strategic importance of the citadel later recognized the French and the Prussians, who occupied it for a short time in the early 19th century. With the Congress of Vienna in 1815 she came with Erfurt to the Prussian Kingdom and was used until the German founding in 1871 as a fortification. It remained a central military location in the region during the two world wars and in the post-war period. From 1963, the site was partially accessible to the public. From 1990, the state of Thuringia and the city of Erfurt carried out major renovations. Today, there are state offices, apartments as well as tourist and cultural facilities (Wikipedia) in the buildings of the fortress.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!