The Carmelo church is a place of worship located in the historic center of Alghero, close to the Aragonese fortifications. Consecrated to Catholic worship, it is part of the parish of the Immaculate Conception in the diocese of Alghero-Bosa.
The foundation of the church, officially on 12 December 1644, coincides with that of the old convent and was the work of two Catalan Carmelites, Briòs and Brunacho who, thanks to bequests and donations from the locals, bought three adjacent buildings, which were then transformed into a large religious space including church and convent - the latter no longer existing due to a fire that destroyed it in 1889.
January 16, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!