After a large fundraising campaign for the purchase of green spaces in the city, the former Kaiserpark was built in 1890, from which today's Bunte Garten emerged.The Kaiserpark was originally separated from the adjoining Catholic and Municipal Cemetery by a wall that had been erected two years later.In 1902/1903 followed in the park, the construction of a concert hall called "Kaiser Friedrich Hall", which was supplemented in 1905 by a concert shell.
Source: buntergarten.deOver time, the cemetery dilapidated, whereupon the city decided to convert the municipal cemetery part to a "jewelry plant". In addition, the designed school garden of the Oberrealschule was moved to the park. The Botanical Garden was initially built in this area with an area of 300 square meters. After the Catholic Cemetery was sold to the city in 1955, the Botanical Garden expanded to 1.5 ha in 1960 and today comprises about 5 ha.Parallel to the development of the park, the founding of the "Rosenliebhaberverein" took place, which laid out a rose garden on a 3.5 hectare large neighboring area. On the occasion of the Deutsche Rosenschau in Mönchengladbach in 1928, a 100 m wide and 100 m long surface was defined north of the old municipal cemetery in order to design it accordingly. Although the Rosenschau was a great success, the area could not be preserved and was after a redesign with a playground, a pergola with seating and a flower parterre provided.Since a competition at the end of the 30s, the park has been named "Bunter Garten". Among the main attractions are the 1000 square meter flower parterre, which is planted in spring with 25000 pansies, or the bird aviaries, which are located at the beginning of the Botanical Garden.Significant tombs, such as the tomb of Louise Gueury, are still reminiscent of the old burial ground.
August 19, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!