Discover

Kloster Schönau

Kloster Schönau

Hiking Highlight

Created by komoot users
Recommended by 37 out of 39 hikers

Tips

  • Claudine

    Idyllically situated on the Saale and surrounded by forest. The monastery was built in 1189, orphaned in 1554 after the Markgräfler war. In 1699 it was rebuilt in the Baroque style and developed into a popular place of pilgrimage. The unmarried earls of Rieneck lived here as nuns.

    translated byView Original
    • April 26, 2020

  • Breggi

    The former Cistercian monastery in Schönau, consecrated in 1189, can be recognized from a distance by its white walls.

    translated byView Original
    • July 30, 2019

  • Breggi

    Born in Switzerland, Kilian Stauffer brought the wonderful art of stucco marble around the 18th century to the then dilapidated monastery and helped it to shine.

    translated byView Original
    • July 30, 2019

  • Alexander Sieber

    Geschichte
    Das der Unbefleckten Empfängnis Mariens geweihte Kloster wurde 1189 durch Philipp von Thüngen zu Heßlar, Ministerialer, zusammen mit Gottfried von Pisemberg, Bischof von Würzburg, gegründet. Bis Mitte des 16. Jahrhunderts lebten hier zumeist adlige Zisterzienserinnen, insbesondere aus dem Geschlecht der Grafen von Rieneck. Nach Anfangsschwierigkeiten bei der Erstbesiedlung konnte eine Dauerbesiedlung teilweise aus benachbarten Zisterzienserinnen-Klöstern insbesondere durch die Intervention der Adelheid von Rieneck gelingen.
    Im Zweiten Markgrafenkrieg wurde das bereits zuvor durch Bauernkrieg und Reformation in Mitleidenschaft gezogene Kloster 1553 geplündert. Die letzte Äbtissin Veronika Geyer von Giebelstadt gab 1564 auf und reichte den Besitz an den Würzburger Fürstbischof Friedrich von Wirsberg zurück.Bis 1699 war das Kloster aufgehoben.Eine Revitalisierung erlebte es 1699, als der Minoritenbruder Kilian Stauffer die ruinösen Baulichkeiten von Würzburg im Tausch gegen andere Besitztümer zur Wiederbesiedlung erwarb. Außenbau und Ausstattung wurden im Barockstil erneuert; diese Gestalt ist im Wesentlichen bis heute erhalten. 1704 wurden die Gebeine von zwei Katakombenheiligen namens Viktor und Antonin aus Rom nach Schönau überführt und hier beigesetzt; diese Katakombenheiligen waren im 18. Jahrhundert eine besondere Attraktion und gaben Anlass zu Wallfahrten.Im Napoleonischen Krieg 1796 wurde das Kloster ein zweites Mal geplündert. Es sollte 1803 im Zuge der Säkularisation aufgelöst werden. Die Mönche verließen 1803 das Kloster jedoch nicht völlig; Totnan Schech hielt Mitte des 19. Jahrhunderts hochbetagt zuletzt allein die Stellung.Durch einen Erlass Ludwigs I. von Bayern erhielt das Kloster 1843 seine dritte Chance und konnte mit weiteren Minoriten wiederbesiedelt werden. Zurzeit (Stand 2013) sind noch zwei Patres und ein Bruder vor Ort, die die Klosterkirche betreuen sowie in benachbarten Pfarreien und Gemeinden aushelfen
    Baugeschichte
    Nur die Klosterkirche ist von den historischen Gebäuden erhalten geblieben – im Wesentlichen in der Gestaltung durch Kilian Stauffer.

    • May 4, 2020

  • LoKi 🚴

    Hey Alexander,
    if you copy texts literally, it is important to state the source!

    translated byView Original
    • May 30, 2020

  • Spessartbu

    Very nice little monastery and pilgrimage church, one of the places on the Franconian Marienweg.
    Be sure to pay a visit to the pilgrimage church and admire its baroque furnishings.

    translated byView Original
    • June 22, 2020

  • Frank Rmr

    One of the few monastery complexes that are still used for this purpose today. Most of the church comes from the Baroque period. Historical convent buildings have not been preserved, they have been replaced by functional buildings from the 20th century.

    translated byView Original
    • April 14, 2021

  • Alexander Sieber

    historyThe monastery dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Mary was founded in 1189 by Philipp von Thüngen zu Heßlar, Ministerialer, together with Gottfried von Pisemberg, Bishop of Würzburg. Until the mid-16th century, mostly noble Cistercians lived here, especially from the family of the Counts of Rieneck. After initial difficulties with the first settlement, a permanent settlement partly from neighboring Cistercian monasteries was successful, particularly through the intervention of the Adelheid von Rieneck.During the Second Margrave War, the monastery, which had previously been affected by the Peasant War and the Reformation, was looted in 1553. The last abbess Veronika Geyer von Giebelstadt gave up in 1564 and returned the property to the Prince-Bishop of Würzburg Friedrich von Wirsberg.The monastery was closed until 1699.It was revitalized in 1699 when the minority brother Kilian Stauffer acquired the ruinous buildings of Würzburg in exchange for other possessions for resettlement. Exterior and furnishings have been renewed in the Baroque style; this shape has largely been preserved to this day. In 1704 the bones of two catacomb saints named Viktor and Antonin were transferred from Rome to Schönau and buried there; these catacomb saints were a special attraction in the 18th century and gave rise to pilgrimages.In the Napoleonic War in 1796 the monastery was looted a second time. It was to be dissolved in the course of secularization in 1803. However, the monks did not completely leave the monastery in 1803; Totnan Schech held the position alone in the middle of the 19th century.By decree of Ludwig I of Bavaria the monastery had its third chance in 1843 and could be repopulated with other minorities. At the moment (as of 2013) there are still two fathers and a brother on site who look after the monastery church and help out in neighboring parishes and congregations.

    translated byView Original
    • May 4, 2020

In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!

Best Hikes to Kloster Schönau

loading

Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.

Learn More
  • Intermediate
    03:18
    7.35 mi
    2.2 mph
    675 ft
    675 ft
  • Intermediate
    03:51
    8.55 mi
    2.2 mph
    825 ft
    825 ft
  • Intermediate
    02:30
    5.69 mi
    2.3 mph
    425 ft
    425 ft
  • Intermediate
    04:48
    10.5 mi
    2.2 mph
    1,275 ft
    1,275 ft
  • Intermediate
    03:28
    7.73 mi
    2.2 mph
    775 ft
    775 ft
  • Intermediate
    02:20
    5.07 mi
    2.2 mph
    675 ft
    650 ft
  • Difficult
    05:31
    11.8 mi
    2.1 mph
    1,500 ft
    1,500 ft
  • Difficult
    05:14
    11.4 mi
    2.2 mph
    1,325 ft
    1,325 ft
  • Difficult
    05:39
    11.9 mi
    2.1 mph
    1,775 ft
    1,775 ft
  • Difficult
    05:48
    12.6 mi
    2.2 mph
    1,475 ft
    1,475 ft
  • Difficult
    06:45
    15.0 mi
    2.2 mph
    1,575 ft
    1,575 ft
  • Difficult
    06:09
    13.7 mi
    2.2 mph
    1,300 ft
    1,300 ft
  • Difficult
    05:22
    11.9 mi
    2.2 mph
    1,100 ft
    1,100 ft
  • Plan Your Own Tour
loading
Location: Gemünden am Main, Main-Spessart, Lower Franconia, Bavaria, Germany

Information

  • Elevation200 m

Most Visited During

  • Jan
  • Feb
  • Mar
  • Apr
  • May
  • Jun
  • Jul
  • Aug
  • Sep
  • Oct
  • Nov
  • Dec

Weather Forecast - Gemünden am Main

Discover

Kloster Schönau