The Botanical Garden Bern is the Botanical Garden of the University of Bern am Altenbergrain 21 in Bern, Switzerland.
The first botanical garden in Bern was set up in Marzili in 1789 and relocated to the Harnischturm on Langmauerweg 110 in 1796, where it existed until 1815. 1804 was another botanical garden in the courtyard of today's city library. It was moved in 1862 to the site of the present garden in the Rabbental, whose construction began in 1859.
The Botanical Garden of Berne has an area of more than two hectares with seven glasshouses, where about 6000 plant species grow. A special feature is the Alpinummit with a large selection of Swiss alpine plants and alpine plants from the Asian and North American region. The palm house shows humid tropical plants (banana, pineapple, sugar cane, coffee) of the rain forest, the fern house plants of tropical mountain forests such as tree and cycads and a third show house presents the vegetation of the warm dry semi-deserts.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!