Bike Touring Highlight
The Nütschau monastery is a Benedictine monastery and the only active monastery on the Mönchsweg. This is where the Benedictine monks live, work and pray together. If you travel by bike or on a pilgrimage, you are welcome here as a guest according to the principle of St. Benedict. It is best to contact the youth center team or Haus St. Ansgar beforehand.
The monastery is a place of reflection, silence and spirituality. You can attend meditations, church services, seminars and courses here. The monastery is located in the East Holstein moraine area and invites you to take walks in nature.
You can find more information on the homepage kloster-nuetschau.de.
March 16, 2020
Um das Jahr 830 wurde an der Trave eine Fliehburg errichtet, mit einem Erdwall umgeben und gesichert: die Nütschauer Schanze. Sie war Teil einer karolingischen Befestigungsanlage, die von der Elbe in nördlicher Richtung bis etwa Kiel reichte. Dieser „Limes Saxoniae“ (Sachsenwall) trennte den westlichen, sächsischen Teil vom slawischen Ostteil des Landes, zudem bildete er den einzigen Traveübergang. Hier entstand schon bald ein Herrensitz, der Jahrhunderte später vom Grafen Heinrich Rantzau, einem bedeutenden Humanisten Schleswig-Holsteins, erworben wurde.
Im Jahre 1577 begann er mit dem Bau des kleinen Wasserschlosses, dem „Castrum Nutzkow“, das mit seinen drei Giebeln bis heute das Wahrzeichen Nütschaus ist und das in seiner äußeren Bausubstanz weitgehend unverändert auf uns gekommen ist. Im 19. Jahrhundert wurde das Innere des Hauses – es hat bis zum Einzug der Mönche 28-mal den Besitzer gewechselt – völlig umgestaltet. Das Dreigiebelhaus in seinen einfachen, edlen Proportionen, dessen mittlerer Giebel das charakteristische Türmchen aus dem Jahr 1792 trägt, hat hohen künstlerischen Rang.
Am 3. Februar 1951, dem Fest des heiligen Ansgar, erwarb der für diese Region damals noch zuständige Bischof von Osnabrück das Gut Nütschau für die Benediktiner der Abtei Gerleve im Münsterland und vereinbarte mit ihnen: Nütschau wird – mit dem Namen „Haus St. Ansgar“ – zunächst als Exerzitienhaus eröffnet. Ziel war aber von Anfang an die Errichtung eines Klosters nach der Regel des heiligen Benedikt.
Nach und nach ergänzten weitere Bauten das Ensemble: die heutige Bildungsstätte Haus St. Ansgar (1954/59), die Klosterkirche mit dem Stillen Bereich (1974), Speiseräume und Küche sowie das damalige Schwesternhaus, die Erweiterung des Jugendhauses St. Benedikt (1990), das neue große Konventgebäude (1998), das renovierte Herrenhaus (2006) und die noch verbliebenen umliegenden Ländereien bilden das Erbe und den Auftrag eines Klosters ins dritte Jahrtausend.
Wer hier lebt oder zu Gast ist, soll spüren, dass Gott den Menschen Hoffnung und Zukunft gibt.
February 10, 2020
For many, the youth center is a place of timelessness and security. This may be due to the many cozy corners of the building, which was built in 1906. Or also because adolescents and young adults meet regularly for courses, get to know each other and see each other again and experience simply being able to be themselves - without the pressure to perform and without being forced to adapt.
March 26, 2020
The small cavalier's house next to the manor house once served as a guest house and laundry room and was probably built around 1800. Symmetrical to this building, there was formerly a corresponding coach house on the east side of the manor house, which was demolished around 1960. A row of linden trees was planted in front of both buildings at a distance of only one meter, which is still preserved in front of the Kavaliershaus. These linden trees were once beheaded at a height of about two meters so that they formed a beautiful screen in front of the buildings and these interfaces can still be seen in the trees. Since the trees were later no longer cut, they have grown into mighty rising giants. In recent years, these have been cut to about the height of the eaves of the manor house to prevent them from falling apart.
In 1922/23 the small building was opened for the son of the owner at the time, Dr. Heinrich Dräger (1898–1986) converted into a residential building by the architect Karl Mühlenpfordt. The large glazed terrace was built on the eastern side of the garden.
March 26, 2020
Today's three-gabled mansion was built in 1577–79 under Heinrich Rantzau (1526–1598) and inscriptions on the mansion still remember the builder and his wife Christina van Hal (l) e. Rantzau, bailiff of Segeberg and governor in royal offices, had acquired the estate in 1573 and, as a politically influential man, also promoted art and science. At that time, the Rantzau family had significant influence throughout Schleswig-Holstein and acquired and built a number of mansions.
The manor house in Nütschau was built as a moated castle with a surrounding moat and forework, as is transmitted on an old woodcut from 1591. In 1642 the estate was bought by the von Ahlefeldt family, and various changes of ownership followed. In 1791 it was auctioned off to the Hamburg merchant Amsinck, who in 1793 added a baroque tower to the middle gabled house of the manor house, but sold the property on after just a few years. In total, over 30 owners have called the Nütschauer Gut their own over the centuries, until it became church property in 1951.
March 26, 2020
A wooden bridge leads enchanted over the water of the moat to the conference and educational buildings of the monastery on the other side.
March 26, 2020
An old stone wall about 310 meters long accompanies the avenue-lined Schlossstrasse. This wall is part of the old manor wall, which was built at an unknown time from boulders of different sizes, whole and hewn and enclosed the former large park. What is interesting about the wall is that individual sections of the multi-colored granite masonry have different stone formats and three different masonry techniques.
Around 60 trees still form the avenue of lime trees that accompanies the road and that has been entered in the Stormarn district's natural monument book since 1937. The trees were probably planted around 1800. Since these trees are also planted very closely, they have grown up to 25 meters high, striving towards the light. Originally the trees were cut, at the beginning apparently at a height of around four meters and later at a height of 14 and 15 meters. These old interfaces clearly run like lines through the avenue.
March 26, 2020
A beautiful garden invites you to linger, it is the northernmost German Benedictine monastery that was only founded in 1951.
But the area has history, around the year 830 a castle surrounded by an earthen wall was built on the Trave, the Nütschauer Schanze, which also represented the only Trave crossing. Which was later acquired as a mansion by Count Heinrich Rantzau.
In 1577 he began building the small moated castle, the “Castrum Nutzkow”, which with its three gables is Nütschau's landmark to this day and the outer structure of which has remained largely unchanged. The characteristic middle turret from 1792 is of great artistic value.
April 5, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.