"... De Rosmolen is a watermill on the Oostrumse Beek in Oostrum on the Geijsteren estate. It is owned by the De Weichs de Wenne family, who also own the property. The mill was the lower mill on the Oostrumse Beek, the upper mill was the Oostrumse watermill.
A water mill may have stood at this point as early as the 13th century, but this mill was not mentioned in a document until 1628.
The current building dates from 1667. The mill was a so-called winter mill, which means that it only received enough water to grind in the winter months, from October to April. It was mainly used to grind rye.
The mill was closed in 1928 after the municipality of Venray bought the water rights from Baron De Weichs de Wenne. The locks were torn off and the lower blades sawed off so the mill would never run again. The aim was to improve the drainage of the stream.
In November 1944 the bridge over the brook was blown up by the occupiers. The mill house was also damaged. After the liberation, the bridge and the mill house were restored. In 1975 a new wheel was installed. In 2000 the mill was operational again and has been used regularly ever since. ... "
August 24, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!