Mountain Biking Highlight
The name Thorr suggests deducing it from a Roman fortification turris. The place is first possible as Ture 997 (doubtful also Düren near Witten), see Thorr, a bridge Thurre about the river Arnefe 1051 and a knight Rudolf of Turre 1140 mentioned. The respective lords of the castle were entrusted by the Counts of Jülich. A Gisilbrecht of Thurre was 1335 Vogt in Bergheim. The castle was one of the total of 238 Jewish knights seats. 1506 comes the possession by marriage of Fritza von Thorre with Bernhard von Weworden, called Bulver, to the then sitting at Burg Drove sex. One of the descendants, Adam (by) Drove (* 1575/1580) bought the property together for sole proprietorship. His eldest son, Adam Bertram Droeff, Lic.jur, inherited the knight's seat, but died in 1679 unmarried and childless in Merode. It inherited, two nieces, daughters of Sybilla Christina (by) Drove, († 1662/1663) and Bernhard Kox, the husband of his sister Sybilla Catharina van Wevorden called Droff. Sybilla Catharina had already died in the winter of 1666 during a plague epidemic at Schloss Merode. The nieces sold the inherited from their uncle Bertram shares in Bernardus Kox, who was now the sole owner. This next change by marriage can also be read on the alliance over the entrance portal of the mansion: Bernhard Kox, Drossard the Freybaner Reign Merode and Sybilla Catharina van Wevorden called Droff, former married couple, Anno 1680th From him in 1680 the new mansion built , In a picture from 1723, the yard is still a regular, three-winged and rated by three towers plant. In 1796, at the beginning of the French period, the property came into bourgeois hands through marriage, Johann Anton Türk became lord of the castle. One of his descendants had in 1860 again renovate and partially rebuild.
September 19, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.