1124 Burg Waldeck was first mentioned in documents. It was owned by the landgraves of Leuchtenberg, who sold the castle in 1283 with parts of the surrounding Waldeck estate to Duke Ludwig of Bavaria. After 1329, the castle belonged to the Kurpräzipium the Palatine Wittelsbacher.
The remaining parts of the rule Waldeck (including the castle Weissenstein) sold the counts of Leuchtenberg to Burggraf Friedrich III. from Nuremberg.
Until 1698 the castle was the seat of the Landgericht Waldeck-Kemnath. In the War of Spanish Succession, the castle was besieged by imperial troops, captured in October 1704 and demolished by order of Emperor Joseph I. Although the castle was rebuilt, but it burned out in 1794 and has since been a ruin. Since about 1982, the ruins have been excavated and restored.
February 11, 2019
The castle ruin is located on the Schlossberg in Waldeck and offers a magnificent view far into the country.
The Waldecker Schlossberg bears the remains of a castle, which is one of the oldest in the Upper Palatinate. In 1124 it is first mentioned in a document (birthplace of Heilica mother of Otto Wittelsbach). It was expanded into a fortress in the 15th century and was the seat of the Landgericht Waldeck-Kemnath until 1698. In the Spanish War of Succession, the castle was taken in 1703 and destroyed, but later partially rebuilt. 1794 destroyed a devastating fire castle and place.
May 27, 2018
The Waldecker Schlossberg bears the remains of a castle, which is one of the oldest in the Upper Palatinate. In 1124 it is first mentioned in a document. In 1794 a devastating fire destroyed the castle and the town of Waldeck. The village Waldeck was created around the already 1731 north of the Schlossberg built pilgrimage church of St. John Nepomuk new. The ascent to the lovingly restored castle ruin is worthwhile just because of the phenomenal view.
August 9, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.