The Fortress Dömitz is located on the Elbe river Mecklenburg and is one of the few well-preserved flatland fortresses of the 16th century in northern Germany. Built in the form of a pentagon and provided with bastions and casemates, it shows the impressive defense architecture of the Renaissance. From 1559 to 1565, it was built on the remains of a 13th-century castle and used for military until the late 19th century. The five bastions and casemates, the arsenal, the old main guard and the commander's house provide an insight into the defenses of several centuries. Due to the peculiarities of the building and due to the exceptionally good state of preservation, it was made a listed building in 1975.
January 12, 2019
Always closed on Mondays, entry was 5 euros per nose
More information at:
Opening times and contact:
October 11, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.