Hiking Highlight (Segment)
"The Mühlenhof, also called (Electoral) Ross and watermill, is a historic grain and oil mill in today Linn belonging to Krefeld.
The mill is located as part of a farm complex east of the old town of Linn on the outer castle and moat. This moat, formed by the dammed Linner Mühlenbach, also served as a water reservoir for the mill.
Noteworthy is the double drive: Normally, the grinder was driven by a water wheel; but if the mill creek did not carry enough water, there was the possibility of evading a Roßwerk, that is, a goepel driven by workhorses.
The mill is first documented in 1602, but it is believed that the mill is similar in age to the castle Linn and the associated city, which was used to supply the mill. The mill was formerly, as was the nearby Geismühle, a table mill of the Cologne archbishops and electors, rulers of the office Linn and lords of the castle Linn, and enjoyed Mühlenzwang in the parish Lank.
The disadvantage of the favorable location for water supply on the moat, for example, proved in the Thirty Years' War: the mill was unprotected from attacks outside the city fortification, was therefore plundered several times. Finally, it was completely destroyed during the Kurhessian occupation of Linn (1643-45), possibly because it was in the way of an extension of the fortifications. Then it was rebuilt in 1650 as an oil and grain mill.
After the Napoleonic conquest of the left bank of the Rhine Mühlenhof came in the year 1805/06 in the context of the secularization of the archiepiscopal estates together with the castle Linn in the possession of the Krefelder silk manufacturer Isaac de Greiff. This left the mill yard to expand to a four-wing farmyard in its present form until 1816, with the watermill in the south wing, the Roßmühle was integrated into the north wing.
May 22, 2018
"After Isaac de Greiff's death, the court inherited his son Cornelius, who had the area along the mill creek east of the mill to Greiffenhorstpark remodeled over his niece Marianne Rhodius, the court went on as heritage on their cousin Maria Schelleckes and continue to their husband Conrad who finally sold the farm together with other properties to the city of Krefeld in Linn in 1925. The owner of the farm until today (as of 2010) is east of the castle park, which is connected with a path along the Linner Stadtgraben, the elongated, circa 11.5 ha Greifenhorstpark.
This late work Maximilian Friedrich Weyhes conveys a special experience of English landscape gardening. Despite the difficult initial situation of a long and narrow property between Linner Mühlenhof and Hausenhof, the Rhenish garden artist managed to create a varied park for his client, the Krefelder silk trader and patron Cornelius de Greiff 1781-1863, around 1843.
He shaped the existing Linner Mühlenbach into long-drawn park ponds with softly swinging back and forth shorelines. Bridges interrupt this long stretch of water, are reflected in it and, as a deliberately used park architecture, attract the attention of the walker.The eye-catching and architectural highlight of the park is Greiffenhorstschlösschen, built in 1843 for Cornelius de Greiff, located at the widest part of the park.
As in the Burgpark, deep red blood beech trees or striking tulip trees loosen up the park picture. Weeping willows frame the bridges. With cleverly inserted views into the adjoining Lower Rhine landscape, through so-called 'landscape windows', Weyhe visually incorporates the surroundings into the narrow park and gives it a feeling of space. The boundaries between artfully designed landscape park and adjacent agricultural areas are blurring. "
May 22, 2018
"In the past few years, the history of the old landscape park has been worked up in a park care project, the historical design concept was analyzed and development goals were developed for the future." During the EUROGA 2002 plus 2nd Regional in NRW, dry fallen park ponds could be deslimated and refilled with water The Lower Rhine sky is reflected in them again today. The water, 'the soul of the park', returned.
Disappeared paths have been restored and are now leading to the water. Marode Parkbrücken were demolished and rebuilt in their original place as important components of the composed parking pictures.
Formerly overgrown views between the castle and the park were restored. Flowering shrubs, crocuses and autumn timeless people now form splashes of color in the castle environment during the course of the year. The park is a listed building and is designated protected landscape area. Here is the largest known Kammmolchvorkommen in North Rhine-Westphalia. Outside the park, in the immediate vicinity of the Greiffenhorstschlösschen is a children's playground.
Park is open to the public all year round, free admission.
The Greiffenhorstschlösschen is open at temporary exhibitions.
Accessibility: BAB 57 exit Krefeld Oppum, tram 044, stop Am Steinacker, bus 059
The NiederRheinroute cycle route, the national cycling route R14 and the Krefelder cycle path R 4 pass by Greiffenhorstschlösschen.
The park is part of the "Garden of Garden Art" (strasse-der-gartenkunst.de) "
May 22, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!