Bike Touring Highlight
Originally, only the square in front of the west side of the town hall was named.
Fish market is the name of the place because fish were traded on it. Since the time of the town, the fish market has served as the historic center of the city of Erfurt central functions and was the intersection of Erfurt leading trade routes.
He was not only a market and trading center, but the center of public life. This will also have caused the residents to build here the department store of citizens, which later became the first city hall. The old building is mentioned as early as 1275 as curie consulum Erfordensis civitatis. To the south, the square was completed by the Martinskirche, which was relocated from here to the Langenstegen in 1385 because it did not have a churchyard.Source: erfurt-web.de/Fischmarkt
The fish market is also home to some notable Renaissance mansions, notably the House of the Red Ox (1562), the House of the Great Stove (1584), the House of the Güldenen Krone (1564) and the House of the Golden Lion (1740) To express wealth of Erfurt in the early modern period (Wikipedia).
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!