On September 15, 1879, the Rhenish Railway Company opened the last section from the station Mettmann (now Mettmann Stadtwald) their railway line from Dortmund to Dusseldorf, which is also regionally known as Wuppertal Nordbahn.Together with this, the station Neanderthal was put into operation and the reception building inaugurated. This is still preserved today, but is no longer used in its original function. In the 80s, the entire area and the station building was bought by the landscape gardener Richard Bödeker and rebuilt as a residential building. The design of the gardens and parks surrounding the station included the history of the railways and the site is filled with old artifacts from the railway history along the old "Nordbahn" route as well as hundreds of bamboo species, elaborate brickwork and floor coverings.The station was in the meantime of local importance, in addition to the two track railways (tracks 1 and 2), each with a platform he owned a passable in both directions avoidance and passing track (track 3), three shunting and siding tracks (tracks 4 to 6), and a siding for freight trains of the nearby Mannesmann lime works.Recently, the route was only used by railcars and local freight trains. On 2 January 1999, Deutsche Bahn stops passenger traffic altogether.
June 24, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.