Aalborghus Castle (Danish Aalborghus Slot, also Ålborghus) is located in northern Jutland in the Danish city of Aalborg. It was commissioned by King Christian III. Erected from 1539 to 1555 and rebuilt under Christian IV in the first half of the 17th century. Originally built as a fortress, the castle soon served as the residence and administrative seat of the northern Danish provincial governors and as a transshipment point for the taxes and levies collected there; it was not used as a royal residence.The castle, located directly on the Limfjord, was once a rectangular castle complex completely surrounded by water and protected by high ramparts. The oldest wing of the building complex is the one under Christian III. The east wing was built, which is two-storeyed on the courtyard side and one on the walls, and is adjoined by the north wing built under Christian IV. The western side of the courtyard is closed by the partially preserved rampart system, the south side is open today and is bordered by a detached building from the 19th century. The half-timbered complex is simple in its architectural style and the stepped gables of the older tracts refer to the architectural forms of the Gothic and Northern Renaissance.The castle has served as an administrative building to this day and is home to various Danish authorities. The interior cannot be visited, but the courtyard and the ramparts are open to the public. In the casemates under the western wall, the history of the building is presented to visitors on information boards.de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schloss_Aalborghus
August 13, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!