The Kohlmarkt (formerly the coal market) played a decisive role in the early days of the city of Brunswick. This square, which is irregular in its layout, documents the crossing of important medieval trade routes: the Poststraße and the goat market lead to two important connections to the west and southwest (Westfalen, Rheinland, Frankfurt); in the east, the hat filter leads to the former Okerübergang (dam) with branches in the direction of the Elbe and Harz.
Around 1036, the consecration of the church of St. Ulrici survives, even older predecessors of the 9th or 10th century are excavated. The church was demolished in 1544, its floor plan is marked in today's pavement (20).
The existing development on the Kohlmarkt dates back to the High Middle Ages in its oldest traces. The house Kohlmarkt 1 was already mentioned in 1268 as a stone house and shows in the surviving stock a Renaissance gable from around 1590.
In place of the house No. 16 was the municipal coin in the 14th century.
Inns, trade fair houses and a post office were built with the Brunswick fairs held since the late 17th century. In addition, the Cabbage Market has become a center of Jewish life with commercial buildings (Nos. 3, 4, 5, 8, 12, 13, 16, 18, 19) and community houses (Nos. 12 and 16). The Jewish property was "Aryanized" from 1933, the community gradually wiped out.
The Kohlmarkt today shows a variety of buildings. The partly baroque, partly classicist houses no. 3, 5, 6, 10, 18 and 19 are from the 18th century, but they have since been over-molded throughout. For the connection of the Kohlmarkt to the (old) station-leading Friedrich-Wilhelm-Strasse was built in 1880 on the south side a breakthrough with flanking buildings of historicism (nos. 8 and 9). Other buildings of the late 19th century with neo-Renaissance and Neo-Baroque facades are Kohlmarkt 2, 4, and 13, and the 17th and 19th alterations are also in this period.
An older drinking water fountain replaced in 1868 by Oskar Sommer designed ornamental fountain (21). After destruction in the Second World War, new buildings were built on the west side of the Kohlmarkt.
November 27, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!