Bike Touring Highlight
Evangelical Church of St. Petri and Pauli
The origins of the Evangelical Church of St. Petri and Pauli in Hamburg-Bergedorf date back to 1162 when it was first mentioned. Around 1500, a half-timbered room was built due to suspected fire damage and the new building was consecrated on June 29, 1502, at the feast of Peter and Paul. At the end of the 16th century, the nave was expanded to the west and construction of the tower began thereafter. The furnishings in the church interior date from the late Renaissance to the Baroque period. The remarkable altar, the carved pulpit and the beautiful gallery paintings were created in the 16th and 17th centuries. The boxes on the north wall are only accessible from the outside and were added at the beginning of the 18th century. Extensive renovations and renovations were carried out in 1836 and 1956. A cemetery on the church square existed until 1831. This was relocated to the Gojenberg. Former tombstones and slabs can still be seen on the outer wall. The former organist's house belongs to the church. A half-timbered building that was inhabited by the Hasse organist family. The composer Johann Adolph Hasse was born here, who died in Venice.holidaycheck.ch/prd/st-petri-und-pauli-kirche-evangelische-kirche-st-petri-und-pauli/1502b7f1-11cc-32f3-8193-2d1f591e87e3
February 15, 2019
St. Petri and Pauli is an Evangelical Lutheran church in Hamburg-Bergedorf and is next to the Bergedorf Castle as the most important historical building of the district. As the oldest church of the central place of the Vier- and Marschlande it shows a rich artistic design.
June 6, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!