The castle ruins Emmerberg (Emerberg) is the ruin of a mountain castle on a ridge near Prosset Gorge in the southeast of Lower Austria in the market town Winzendorf-Muthmannsdorf.
Around the year 1170, the castle was first mentioned in documents for the Lords of Emmerberg. At that time it was an important base in the fortification line on the northern border of the Carantanic Mark. The Emmerberger died out in 1455, but Ludwig von Eckartsau was already in 1384 invested in the castle.
In 1249 the castle Emmerberg is called "castle castrum". Burgherren are Wolfenreut, Teufel, Brassican Spaur and Heußensteiner.
Emmerberg never had to prove itself militarily. When, because of the threat of the Turks in the 17th century, the castles of Lower Austria were tested for their suitability for war, Emmerberg was not designated as a place of escape for the population.
The castle Emmerberg was inhabited until 1760. At that time, the destruction of the castle by Count Heinrich von Heussenstein was initiated. He left to cover the roof tax to cover the oak roof chair and sell. Since then, the castle has been abandoned to decay. Today, the grounds of the castle ruin may not be entered due to dilapidation.
October 15, 2017
The castle Emmerberg was probably built around the middle of the 12th century. 1170 Emmerberg is first mentioned in a document with "Durinch de Emberberch". At the time of the Babenberger the Emmerberger counted among the most important families of the country.
The Emmerberger died out in 1455, but already in 1384 Ludwig von Eckartsau was entrusted by Duke Albrecht III with the castle. After that, the owners changed quite often. Among others, the Wolfenreut (around 1430), Teufel, Brassican, Spaur (around 1500), Heussenstein (from 1706) and Vincenz von Suttner (1805) seem to be feudal owners. The destruction of the castle was initiated in 1760 by Count Heinrich von Heussenstein.
For fiscal reasons, he had the oak roof chair covered and sold. One of the following owners, Alexander Wilhelm Graf Wartensleben, used the walls in 1821 as a quarry to build a stud at the foot of the castle hill. The surrounding farmers also got building material here. Graf Wartensleben soon had to file for bankruptcy. From the mass acquired in 1833 Archduke Rainer, viceroy of Lombardo-Veneto, the rule. The ruins and the surrounding forests are still in the possession of his descendants today.
March 10, 2019
Around 1170, Emmerberg Castle was first mentioned in documents for the lords of Emmerberg (noble family). At that time it was an important base in the fortification line on the northern border of the Karantan Mark. The Emmerbergs died out in 1455, but Ludwig von Eckartsau was already mortgaged with the castle in 1384.
In 1249, Emmerberg Castle was called Castrum Castle. The lords of the castle are Wolfenreut, Teufel, Brassican Spaur and Heußensteiner.
Emmerberg never had to prove itself militarily. When the castles of Lower Austria were tested for their suitability for war in the 17th century because of the looming Turkish threat, Emmerberg was not designated as a safe haven for the population.
Emmerberg Castle was inhabited until 1760. At that time, the destruction of the castle by Count Heinrich von Heussenstein was initiated. In order to avoid the roof tax, he had the oak roof truss covered and sold. Since then, the castle has been left to decay.
April 12, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!