The Badenburg is located at the south-eastern end of Lake Badenburg in the Nymphenburg Palace Park. The building, created by Joseph Effner between 1719 and 1721, is considered the first heated indoor pool of modern times, which was intended exclusively for bathing pleasure at court.Pure luxury in the Badenburg in the Nymphenburg Palace Park: Elector Max Emanuel's bathtub was as large as an average two-room apartment today. In the basement there is an 8.70 by 6.10 meter pool with Dutch tiles. It's so deep you could even swim in it.The furnishings are also magnificent: Dutch tiles, stucco marble and a noble ceiling picture. Nymphs and naiads adorn the ceiling of the stucco marble-clad bathing room, which even has a gallery for guests.
June 9, 2022
The Badenburg is located at the southeastern end of the Great Lake.
The structure dominates a part of the lake, as it is cleverly placed in a line of sight that can also be seen from the north.
The castle was built by Joseph Effner between 1718 and 1722.
It was the first large structure in Europe for centuries that served the sole purpose of being able to enjoy a comfortable bath.
As part of the restoration of 1983-84, the wooden shingle roof and the ocher color scheme of the building were restored.
Two outside staircases, one from the south and one sweeping from the north, lead into the building. The northern one opens the spacious hall to the lake.
The other rooms on the ground floor are: the bathroom to the south-west, the bedroom with adjoining writing cabinet and cloakroom to the south-east, a playroom in the middle with a passage to the hall.
The hall features festive ornamental decor by Charles Dubut.
The ceiling fresco by Jacopo Amigoni, destroyed in 1944, was replaced in 1984 by a copy by Karl Manninger.
Three rooms are decorated with Chinese wallpaper.
While two of them show scenes from everyday life in the Far East, plants, birds and butterflies are shown in pink and green on the third.
In the large hall there are two fountains with statuettes of the Triton children riding on water-spitting dolphins; the gilded lead hollow casts are by Guillielmus de Grof (1722).
The bathroom is on two floors, basement and ground floor.
It is almost entirely occupied by the bathing pool, which can be called luxurious with an area of 8.70×6.10 and a depth of 1.45 meters.
It is laid out with Dutch tiles.
The gallery, clad in stucco marble, is closed off by a wrought iron railing by Antoine Motté.
Nymphs and naiads adorn the ceiling of the bathing room.
The technical systems required for water heating are located in the basement.
The southern staircase is flanked by two lion figures, which were probably placed on the stringers around 1769.
They come from Charles de Groff, consist of Regensburg green sandstone and were temporarily painted white.
The staircase connects the castle with a wide meadow valley, the Löwental, which owes its name to the two animal figures and ends with a ha-ha.(Source: Wikipedia)
July 21, 2022
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!