Bike Touring Highlight
The Horster Mühle is now a hydropower plant on the Ruhr in the Horst district of Essen. It belongs to the route of industrial culture.
In 1910 the entrepreneur Wilhelm Vogelsang (* 1877; † 1939) bought the mill, the Hörster field and the surrounding area, Horst and the residence, today's Villa Vogelsang, from the Dammer bankruptcy. He built several factory buildings in brick architecture. The chimney of the carbide factory still preserved today contains light-colored stone bands and the lettering W. Vogelsang.
June 1, 2019
In good weather you can also explore the "Bach" with a combination of Kayak / Canadier and Radl! Are many organizers and distributors along the Ruhr. Route length arbitrarily selectable and also for beginners well feasible, since there are always instructions.
April 4, 2019
The Horster mill was one of the oldest mills in Essen. It was mentioned as early as the 12th century in connection with the creation of a Ruhr weir. Their original location was about 300 meters upstream on a Ruhr island. When new hydraulic structures were built to make the Ruhr navigable from 1774, the mill was given its current location opposite the new lock. It was operated as an oil, fruit and blue mill. Among other things, cobalt, which came from deposits in the Hesper Valley on Lake Baldeney, was broken in the Horster Mühle and used to dye slave smocks that were exported to the USA. The Horster Mühle became the property of the Essen industrialist Wilhelm Niemann in 1846.
In 1910 the factory owner Wilhelm Vogelsang took over the Horster Mühle and converted the mill into a hydroelectric power station and a carbide factory. Several factory buildings were built in the restrained brick architecture of that time with distinctive, segment-arched roof shapes. The system is dominated by the high chimney with the name of Vogelsang, whose brickwork is structured by light-colored stone bands. In the restored power plant hall there are turbine parts and generators, some of which date from the first decades of the 20th century.
Carbide production ended in 1932, the power station remained in operation until 1977, when it was shut down due to inefficiency. In 1985 the company Rudolph & Co. acquired the listed facility. The hydropower plant was modernized with four new turbines and generators, and the original machinery in the hall was restored according to museum criteria. The power plant has been supplying electricity again since 1989.
September 2, 2017
In the south, directly on the Ruhr, only a few relics of the former industrial culture have been preserved. Here at the beginning of the Niederbergisches Land, the middle-class residential areas have arisen in the midst of magnificent nature. At the same time, industrialization began here.
June 11, 2022
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!