Mountain Biking Highlight
In 1909, an anchorage for zeppelins was set up on the large parade ground. With increasing use, a regular flight operation was started in 1925 for the first time in Karlsruhe and the location developed into an important domestic German civilian airport. 39 cities in Germany and abroad were served, already in the first year, nearly 2,000 passengers were transported.
1935 were further north of the airfield for the military activities of the Third Reich cleared further parts of the Hardtwald and expanded the area to a total of 136 ha. The facilities have been modernized and expanded, and civil aviation, now also international, has been discontinued.
After the Second World War, the armed forces of the United States took over the airfield, but use this limited as a military airfield.
In 1953, 40 hectares of the site were freed by the Americans for the construction of housing. From 1991, the local council was advised on a development of the site, which should bring nature conservation and housing in line. When the old airfield was handed over to the city of Karlsruhe in 1993, the expansion of the northwest city began. In 2003, the city regulated the use of a general order, which was extended in 2010 by a nature reserve ordinance of the regional council of Karlsruhe.
beautifully landscaped biotope in the middle of Karlsruhe. From the northern access road New-York-Straße / Kurt-Schumacher-Straße, the mountain ranges south of Karlsruhe can be viewed in good weather. Likewise, the charm of the Old Airfield with its extraordinary vegetation unfolds into different daytime (sunrise, sunset) and seasons. To change z.b. the color of large areas yes after flowering from white to bluish to rusty red.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!