In the original baroque park design, there was only an ornamental pool. The so-called "small lake" was created in 1813 as part of the landscaping by F.L. Sckell. The Pagodenburg reflecting in the lake is now part of an idealized natural landscape.
August 5, 2019
In the northern part of the park is the smaller lake, Pagodenburg Lake.
It was completed in 1813.
In terms of design, it is determined by the Pagodenburg, which lies on an island formed by a ring-like canal, which largely occupies the northern part of the lake and can be reached via two pedestrian bridges.
The area of the lake including the island, which is about one hectare in size, is 2.9 hectares. The body of water feeds the Hartmannshofer Bach, which flows gently north through the Pagodenburg Valley, a lovely meadow valley, and flows into the Kugelweiher 420 meters further north - a creation typical of Sckell.
The water inflow of the lake is underground from the central canal, the inflow was originally camouflaged as a rock grotto.
A dam overgrown with dense woods shields the lake to the south from the central canal, which is higher up.(Source: Wikipedia)
July 21, 2022
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!