Bike Touring Highlight
Wichmannsburg derives its name from Count Wichmann Billung, who inherited this area from his father, Hermann Billung, and built here around 950 a fortress against the Slavs.
The church consecrated to Saint George, the fighter against all evil, was probably soon built. It still shows on its north wall today what it might have looked like originally: beautiful fieldstone masonry with small arched windows.
In 1659, the church collapsed during a church service. It was rebuilt with brick wall on the south side and enlarged windows. Further alterations took place: around 1750 new truss tower, 1869 new choir room and raised floor; 1960 Renewal of stalls, pulpit and organ.Domestic equipments:
Gothic carved altar (around 1500), probably from the workshop of Lewin Storch from Hildesheim. In the predella painted St. George and St. Mauritius, in the middle part figurine-rich crucifixion, next to saints, in the wings the 12 apostles, in the essay Maria in the Radiant Wreath.
Replica of a Lübeck Renaissance fresco (1981), baptismal font from 1986.Source:
June 27, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!