Hiking Highlight (Segment)
The Engelnberg Tunnel is a 171 m long, listed, former railway tunnel in Wuppertal. It is located on the Düsseldorf-Derendorf-Dortmund Süd railway line ("Wuppertaler Nordbahn"), which was opened in 1879 and closed in 1991, between the Mirk train station and the Ostersbaum stop. It is one of seven tunnels on the section between Mettmann and Gevelsberg West.
The Rheinische Eisenbahn-Gesellschaft had the tunnel built in the years 1877–79 according to plans by the building councilor Alexander Menne. On January 10, 1991, both portals were registered as architectural monuments.
With the conversion of the Wuppertal Northern Railway into a railway cycle path by the Wuppertal movement, the Engelnberg Tunnel is the first tunnel whose floor was paved in 2010. It was initially closed to the public, to protect the bats and for safety concerns due to the lack of lighting and the risk of ice. In the next few years the provisionally opened tunnel was temporarily closed due to icicles or falling rocks. The section with the Engelnberg tunnel was released in September 2014.
The portals of the Engelnberg Tunnel are unchanged and mostly made of natural stone. The portal walls made of rubble stones arranged in storage are tiered and divided by small niches above the opening. The supporting arches are made of bricks, the tunnel tube is lined with shotcrete.
June 18, 2021
The Engelnberg Tunnel is a 171 m long railway tunnel in Wuppertal. It is located on the railway line Dusseldorf-Derendorf-Dortmund south ("Wuppertal Nordbahn"), which was opened in 1879 and has since been shut down, between the Mirker station and the Ostersbaum stop. It is one of seven tunnels on the section between Mettmann and Gevelsberg West station.
June 26, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!