Schloss Mirow was built from about 1709 as a widow's residence for Duchess Christiane Aemilie Anthonie of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. The master builder was Joachim Borchmann. In the heart of the building, the high-baroque ballroom of the Italian stucco artist Giovanni Battista Clerici has been preserved in all its glory. Hardly any visitor would expect such a brilliant hall in the outer modesty of the castle. Among the unexpectedly magnificent spatial artworks are those of the Frideric Rococo. The entry of Prussia into the Seven Years' War caused an almost total stoppage of construction activity in the neighboring kingdom. The artists were now looking elsewhere for new orders. This historical circumstance led to the beginning of a second transformation phase under Duchess Elisabeth Albertine in Mirow, which from 1756 to 1761 had her apartment furnished with original Frederician interior decorations of the highest quality. Mirow Palace joins the splendid chain of one of the most famous equippment phenomena of the European continent in the 18th century. In addition, hand embroidered wallpaper or those with scattered flowers enhance the valuable fan of the Mirower equipment.Source:
June 26, 2017
Since the renovation work was completed in 2014, it is a museum. It shows the history of the Duchy of Mecklenburg-Strelitz and gives insights into the lifestyle of the time.
Admission costs 6 € per person and a combination ticket (castle, cavalier house, tower of St. John) 9 € per person.Further information on opening times:
June 26, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!