From the city wall of Norheim large parts have been preserved. Of the former 1750 m city wall are still about 950 m preserved, of which some parts in original height.
In 1252 Duke Otto gave the child Northeim the right to build a city fortification.
Around 1305 the construction of the city wall was completed. It had a length of about 1750 m and a mean height of 8.50 to 9 m. In tradition, 48 stringers (fortifications) are called including the towers. The city wall was equipped with 3 gates and smaller passages. Because of the protection within its fortifications, many people in the area moved into the city.
1431 - 1550 The invention of gunpowder and stronger weapons led to the creation of a rampart and the outer moat. Remains of the moat can be experienced on the basis of the Adolf-Hueg and the Tourlaviller Walles. In front of the original gates more fortified outer gates with kennels and gate yards were built.
1627 - 1629 A 9-month siege by Tilly's troops during this period, as well as famine and the raging plague, led to the surrender. By order of Tilly, large parts of the ramparts and city walls were cut.
(Source: information board at the city wall)
June 19, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.