The castle on the Kybfelsen is a former spur castle in the area of the independent city of Freiburg im Breisgau in Baden-Württemberg.
A spur castle on the Kybfelsen is mentioned in the chronicle of Matthias von Neuenburg from the middle of the 14th century. The name "Kyburg" first appeared in 1484 in the Wisdom of Kappel. Finds brought from excavations at the castle site, in the 1920s by O. Kantorowicz, prove the existence of the complex during the time of the Zähringer rule in Breisgau in the late 11th and early 12th centuries. Ceramics finds dating back to the 12th and early 13th centuries complete the view of the period of use of the fortified square. More recent surface finds also point to an early, at least temporary, Bronze Age settlement of the rock. There is no reliable information on the question of the exact time of foundation and the builder or owner of the castle. A connection with the Counts of Kyburg, whose rulers were in today's northern and eastern Switzerland, is considered questionable today. The end of the castle is believed to have been found in the first half of the 13th century due to the existing finds.
January 31, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.