Hiking Highlight (Segment)
The English garden designation was adopted from the English landscape gardens. The garden was created between 1803 and 1807 according to the plans of the Neuburger Oberförster Luz. The English Garden in Munich served as a model for him. The park quickly developed into a highly esteemed promenade on Sundays and public holidays. After devastating damage from flooding and massive logging, the area was redesigned in 1835 by the Munich court garden director Carl August Sckell. In July 1886, a memorial to the child and youth writer Isabella Braun was erected in the western part of the park.
Over the years, the English garden was built up more and more. In 1900 a tennis court was created and park meadows were used as a fairground. From 1924 the forest meadows were settled and in 1961/62 a park school and indoor swimming pool were built.
Today there are only remnants of the original system, some of which have been restored in the western area. In the meantime, the English Garden has turned back into a valuable riparian forest. Mighty oaks, ash trees and elms from the early years can still be found.
The English Garden has been added to the list of monuments and has been a protected landscape area since 1987.
The park, located on the south bank of the Danube, is a paradise for walkers and those seeking relaxation. In the vicinity of the Donaukai there is a beautiful beer garden, a boat landing site with a campsite for water hikers, a very nice children's playground and some outdoor fitness equipment.
March 24, 2019
The most beautiful, central alluvial forest adventure trails in our listed Neuburg City Park have been devastated, barricaded and closed for questionable reasons by the Wittelsbach Compensation Fund in coordination with the Lower Nature Conservation Authority at the District Office and the City of Neuburg.
Many comparable campaigns throughout Bavaria prove that one can operate sensible road safety even without closing the road.
May 1, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!