Hiking Highlight (Segment)
Anyone wandering through the Neander Valley begins to understand why the Neanderthals settled here and why later Joachim Neander spent his time here. The quiet valley bottom, the sparse forests, the splashing of the Düssel: The valley is the most beautiful place far and wide. However, the idyll is deceiving - it is man-made. Lime mining has completely changed the Neanderthal valley in the 19th century. From the once narrow ravine, through which Neander grazed, became a wide valley. An early industrial environmental sin, but fortunate for research. Two miners who cleared a grotto for lime removal in 1856 found strange human bones. To be sure, it was not the first bones of a Neanderthal man that were found, as we know today. But they were the first researchers to know what they had in front of them: relics of an extinct human species. At first they met with this assumption on bitter resistance: For a long time the theory of evolution was not universally accepted, Charles Darwin's groundbreaking book "The Origin of Species" should appear only three years after the find. The then leading German pathologist Rudolf Virchow considered the bones of his life to be the remains of a modern human deformed by a disease. The idea that other human beings should have lived on Earth next to us was just unheard of. Until today, the idea is funny that a few thousand years ago, here on the river between the trees, one could have met a Neanderthal man. In the Neanderthal Museum, the destination of the hike, you can make up for this meeting. There are replicas of Neanderthals that are so realistic that you would like to address them. Closer than that you can not get them anymore.
April 12, 2017
The grounds around the mill and the mill itself are privately owned and can not be visited or visited. A "visit" is only possible from the bridge and from the paths between the buildings. Nevertheless, the facility is worth a visit: The owners go out of their way to scrub the whole estate very well.
July 20, 2018
On the left bank of the Düssel, 350 m west of the yard Thunis and 320 m southwest of the yard angle, stands since 1483 mentioned Winkelsmühle.The mill building is located directly below a projecting rock face, on the north side of the valley. The former Obergraben and today's course of the Düssel was cut into the upcoming limestone. The existing weir is modernized. Remains of the old Dusseldorf run can be found on the impact side, the southern and western side of the valley, in the form of a pond.The mill building is a three-storey stone house with a two-storey extension on the left side. This part is only on the ground floor made of quarry stone, the upper floor is made of half-timbered. The opposite farm buildings are modern.After a fire, the mill building was completely renovated in 1971. Another conversion took place in 1996.In its over 600-year history, the Winkelsmühle has undergone many structural changes, which can also be found in archaeological evidence. It is first mentioned in a document in 1387, in a list of tithe donations to the Kaiserswerth Abbey. 100 years later, the mill receives the rights to the mill from the duke. This regulation was reconfirmed by Duke Wilhelm III of Jülich-Berg in 1547. Among the war-turmoils of the 17th century, the Winkelsmühle suffered severely. In a report from 1672 is described that the residential building has burned down, the barn collapsed and the mill itself could no longer be used.Incidentally, in the 30s, the pond served as a natural swimming poolWhen the forced meal of French time disappeared, the mill was no longer economically viable. Necessary repairs could not be done, the mill was then auctioned in 1802.On historical maps the angle mill is shown repeatedly. Et al on the Unterbacher Jagdkarte from 1641 and the Müffling card from 1824.The Winkelsmühle and the archaeological evidence in the form of wall foundations and objects of daily use that are to be verified in the underground are important for the industrial history of the hills of the Niederberg hills, the Dusseldorf valley and the town of Mettmann.
July 5, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!