Lausitzer Platz is a town square and at the same time the name of the street around it in the Berlin district of Kreuzberg in the Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg district. The square, named after Lusatia, southeast of Berlin, was already kept free within the former city wall and was named in 1849. The New Köpenicker Gate was built here in 1847. In the middle of the square is the Emmaus Church, planned by August Orth and built between 1890 and 1893. In its original form - destroyed in World War II - it was the largest church in Berlin after the Berlin Cathedral.Lausitzer Platz is often used for street festivals and markets, for example there is an organic market every week (Friday).On May 1, 1987, a street festival became the starting point of the Kreuzberg May riots after the police violently ended this festival. Since the numerous punk bars disappeared in the 1990s, the square has been quiet. In the 2010s, the increased gentrification of the neighborhood led to a fundamental change in the population structure. Tourists also increasingly shape the picture.South of Lausitzer Platz, directly behind the elevated railway line of the U1 and U3 (the oldest underground line in Berlin) and the Görlitzer Bahnhof, are Spreewaldplatz and Görlitzer Park. In the north, Waldemarstrasse and Eisenbahnstrasse border the square.In Kreuzberg, Lausitzer Platz is also known as "Lauseplatz" or "Lausi".Source: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lausitzer_Platz
November 30, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.