The Stiftsherrenhaus is one of the most famous houses in Hameln's Old Town and is located on Osterstraße in the middle of the pedestrian zone. It represents one of the most magnificent buildings of the Weser Renaissance. The museum café is located on the ground floor.
The merchant and then Mayor Friedrich Poppendieck built the canon's house in 1558.
Like the Leisthaus, the Stiftsherrenhaus has a façade richly decorated with ornaments and figures. In addition to various ancient planetary gods, a myriad of Christian motifs can be found.
This mass of religious symbolism was then attributed only to an influential canon, which ultimately gave the house its name.
Since 1975, a bridge connects the canons house with the Leisthaus. In addition to the museum café, part of the Hameln Museum is also located on the upper floors of the convent house. The bridge connects this part of the museum with the rest of the museum.
Source (Wikipedia and regi-on.de/kultur-freizeit/freizeit-erholung/sehenswuerdigkeiten/83.htm)
The café is open Monday to Sunday from 9:00 to 19:00
February 27, 2017
The canon's house was completed in 1558; its builder is unknown. Contrary to what the name suggests, the client was not a clergyman, but the businessman and Hamelin mayor Friedrich Poppendiek. The building was named after its richly illustrated facade, which otherwise usually suggests that it was commissioned by a church. It shows a rich pictorial decoration with biblical motifs, but also ancient planetary gods. The front stones of the platform in front of it in the entrance area represent Lucretia (“virtue”) and Ecclesia (“church”). A special feature of the monastery house is that it faces the street on the eaves side. Unlike in the Leisthaus, its original spatial arrangement can no longer be recognized. The museum café has been on the ground floor since the renovation work in 1975.
April 7, 2022
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!