The Berlin-Potsdam railway was opened in 1838 as the first railway line in Prussia, hence the name Stammbahn. The approximately 26-kilometer route led directly from Potsdamer Bahnhof at today's Potsdamer Platz via Steglitz and Zehlendorf to today's Potsdamer Hauptbahnhof. When the bridge over the Teltow Canal was blown up by German troops at the end of the Second World War in April 1945, traffic between Berlin-Zehlendorf and Potsdam-Griebnitzsee ended. An S-Bahn train commuted from Zehlendorf to Berlin-Düppel from December 1945. When the Berlin Wall was built in 1961, passengers from Kleinmachnow in Brandenburg ceased, the terminus was right on the city limits, which had become the system boundary. The West Berlin S-Bahn boycott did the rest. As a result of the S-Bahn strike in 1980, the Deutsche Reichsbahn ceased operations completely.
February 3, 2022
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!