The first constructions of the castle were probably built in the 11th century by the Counts of Katlenburg. Over the centuries it has been constantly expanded and rebuilt. The function of the Stauffenburg was to protect the Harz mining in nearby Gittelde as well as to secure the Thuringian military road, which ran below the Seesen castle from southeast along the Harz to Nordhausen.
In 1778 the facility began to fall into disrepair. The stones were used, among other things, to build the domain below the castle.
August 2, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!